Saturday, February 26, 2011

Map of the States #3

And #3 is done! Coming up with enough yellows was not easy and I may need to go find some more before I start the next blocks. I've looked a little and I guess I just don't love yellow as I can hardly find a print I really love. 

In case you were wondering how I do this, here are a few pictures to show how I cheat a little from the Oh Fransson method.  (which of course means more wasted fabric, but I think its worth the time I save). I start out with a 12x12 square of freezer paper and cut it into 5 random strips and draw the individual squares on. 
 I do not cut out each individual block, I just get out my fabric and cut blocks roughly the size of my squares till I have a block cut for every square, then sew them in rows. Next, I iron on the freezer paper and cut 1/4 inch around them.
 Then I sew the strips together and iron all my seams open. I have done this with and without the freezer paper still on and can't figure out which way I like better. I am more accurate if I leave it on, but its a pain.
And there you are. I also really liked this tutorial, but since I am using smaller pieces and only making 9 total blocks, it just didn't work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment